Saturday, March 27, 2010

The chicks are 3 weeks old

Time for a chicken update...
I have my 3 original Rhode Island Reds. We hatched 8 around the time that Noah was born...we processed the roosters, I just sold 3 hens for $25 a piece, and we have a RIR and an Amerucana from that group, who are now laying...for a total of 5 laying hens.
We received 27 chicks, and I sold 10...so now we have 17. 8 are Dark Cornish Hens (for the table), and then we have 8 layers (Dominique, Partridge Rock, Black Australorp, White Rock, Columbian Wyandotte, White Giant, Light Brahma) and a White Crested Black Polish just for fun!

They're getting big and currently living in a "chicken greenhouse" outside. It's a 4x4 structure made with 2x1s and bent PVC pipes to give it form, with a clear vented tarp for protection from the elements. The heat lamp keeps them warm at night, and it's got no bottom (like a chicken tractor) so that we can move it around and they can enjoy natural grit and fresh grass. I had them inside for about 2 weeks, but it was getting a bit stinky (musty chicken smell) and dirty for my taste.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hello! I came across your blog kind of randomly. :-) Sounds like we have a few things in common. For one thing, our family keeps backyard chickens as well and has greatly enjoyed the adventure. If you check my blog in a few days, you'll probably see a writeup of the Backyard Chicken Coop Tour in our city; our family did it by bike today. What fun! It was the first time I'd seen the little Polish kind with the "mohawk," which my kids found hilarious.
Behind me I can hear the cheeping sound of our two latest baby chicks!