Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rooster processing

Yesterday was the day that we "processed" (slaughtered) our roosters. There were 3 of them, and while they were a bit young for slaughter, they were old enough to crow, which makes them old enough to slaughter in my book. I very fortuitously found a man who was willing to help and teach me the process, in exchange for a share of the birds. I considered bringing Maya with me, but thought it might be too gruesome for a child her age, so in the end, Noah and I went, and Maya stayed to play with my mom.
In fact, it was really not gruesome at all. The birds were peaceful and the process very simple and respectful. I saved some of the beautiful tail feathers for art projects, and learned to kill and clean a bird. Art, who seems to be a mover and shaker in miami's urban homesteading community, was a wonderful teacher and a really great guy.
When I got home, Haim had the grill fired up, and Maya, Haim, Eli and I shared a delicious grilled chicken. The meat was different than what we usually get from the store...more sinewy and maybe "athletic" but really delicious and flavorful. The leftovers and bones are currently bubbling away on the stove as a chicken soup.
All in all, a really special experience, though I think I may be off store bought meat forever!

No comments: