Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yesterday I found $100!

Yesterday I went to the bank to take out cash for a pick-up truck we were purchasing from a private party. As the teller was counting out the money, I thought I saw an extra $100....but when she counted it a second time, the amount was accurate. About an hour after I left the bank I counted the money again, and the amount was accurate. Upon paying the lady for the truck, she discovered an extra $100 in the bundle...bills had stuck together! She returned it to me, and I thanked her, completed the transaction and left.
If an ATM had spit out an extra $100 in all likelihood I would have kept it, however in this case I knew that the teller would be on the hook for the money. I needed to return it, preferably without telling her boss....It was just after 4pm and I knew she would be counting her drawer and discovering the error soon. I could imagine the sinking feeling of her discovering the error....i know if it had been me I would have been devastated. I called the branch several times before someone picked up, and I asked for the teller. She came on the line and I told her that I she had given me $100 extra a couple of hours earlier. She very hesitantly asked if I would be bringing the money back. I told her yes, but I would not be there for about 30 minutes. She said that she would wait. When I got to the bank, the guard let me in and I gave her the money. Near crying, she thanked me about 4 times...
It felt even better returning the money, than it did finding it in the first place!

No comments: